On October 14, 1895, minutes of a meeting state that a golf club was established and play was to take place in the Grove Beach area of Clinton. The newly founded club was named the Menunketesuck Golf Club. The Clinton Recorder reported on April 22, 1896 in the "Town Topics" section: "The golf season is once more here and the Menunketesuck Golf Club is making extensive preparations to improve their looks at Grove Beach."
In 1899, the organization re-formed as the Hill and Dale Club, establishing a course on rented land off of Commerce Street. Bordered by Clinton Harbor to the south, the Indian River to the east and Commerce Street to the west, the compact nine-hole layout was scenic as it was 'tight'.
On August 2, 1922 members of the Hill and Dale Club petitioned the Connecticut Secretary of State to announce the formation of and incorporation of the Clinton Country Club.
As noted in the August 17, 1922 issue of The Clinton Recorder the Clinton Country Club would rent the Blaisdell House thereby assuring "the club of the accommodations essential to properly care for the membership, which is constantly growing and now numbers 70. 58 names having been added during the past two weeks..."
Over the next thirty-five years, the course and membership would survive through The Great Depression, the Hurricane of '38 and World War II. During this span, the surrounding neighborhoods prospered, enclosing an already 'tight' layout. As differences and tensions mounted between the area residents and the club, a new more accommodating course and club location were sought.
The opportunity to relocate presented itself in 1957 with the availability of the forty-five acre, Scheld Dairy Farm on Old Westbrook Road. To facilitate the purchase, the club sold the Blaisdell House and the surrounding four-to-five acres at the foot of Commerce Street for $58,000. In August of the same year, Golf Course Architect, Geoffrey S. Cornish, was retained to design a nine-hole layout on the newly purchased tract. The club would officially relocate and break ground on February 7, 1958.
In 1965, Clinton Country Club entered into negotiations to purchase an additional fifty-one acres adjacent to the existing property. The proposed purchase would bring the total property area to 110 acres and facilitate the addition of nine holes. In early 1967, the additional acreage and the services of Mr. Cornish were secured. The new, second nine holes became a reality in 1968, completing the 6,501 yard, Par-72 course.
The club celebrated it's 100th birthday with a "Centennial Gala" on October 7, 1995.
In 2006 the course was improved with (10) additional forward tees, (3) new fairway bunkers on #16 and ground was broken for a comprehensive irrigation system replacing the 30+ year-old, 'down-the-middle' system. The irrigation project was complete in the Spring of 2007, and it now can deliver 'a drop or a deluge' to 98% of the property at the click of a mouse.
2008 marks the 113th year of Clinton Country Club, making it one of the oldest surviving golf clubs in the United States. It also marks the Silver anniversary of the golf course's original 9-Holes, which now plays as the Back Nine.
2011 marks the completion of the 11th Hole Project in which a stone wall was handcrafted on the 11th tee. This hole is quite the sight to see.
The Clubhouse Front has received a face lift with a brand new door and a Stone Sign.